What are your superpowers ? Yes, superpowers and I don't mean the type found in a marvel comic. Mind you the engineer in me can’t go past Iron Man. What are the talents you have that you believe you can use in a way to achieve something positive? So if asked what are your superpowers ? What would your reply be? Sounds easy, but when you actually stop, reflect, be honest and put some thought into this, you might find yourself thinking it sounds easier that it really is.
Are your superpowers:
- leveraging mathematics to solve everyday challenges
- interpreting a brief and transforming it into a fantastic design
- understanding colours and how they need to be together
- understanding people and motivating them to be great
- prioritisation and effective use of time
- the simple but precious ability to put a smile on someone’s face
- or something else?
Why bother with identifying your superpowers?
- I am a strategy and details person. I like to get into the nuts and bolts of a situation but at the same time have the ability to take a helicopter view to see the big picture in order to understand and validate if and how all of the details fit in together as part of the strategy.
- I take a genuine interest in people and connect with them and engage with them in a way that encourages trust, confidence and a willingness to achieve excellence. I take my job seriously and I take my commitment seriously but do not take myself seriously.
- Adaptability. Over the years, I have worked in different companies and in different industries subject to variable conditions. Along the way, I learnt the importance of adapting to change, because failing to do so means you get left behind.
- Challenge the status quo. I don't like change for the sake of change. However, quite often I come across situations which don’t make sense and makes me question why is it this way and is there a better way? Learning from previous experience or mistakes is a key aspect for future success and I believe I have a great superpower to identify opportunities for improvement.
The Wrap Up